Friday, May 18, 2012

The final days of Sevilla

          Rebecca has arrived as you might have seen from my last post, since that moment I've been busy with hanging out with her, planning the last bit of our trip, studying for finals, and trying to take in Sevilla as much as possible. The only trouble with the last one has been the suppressing heat wave that we've been enduring for the past week, the temperatures have soared unexpectedly, so much so that I have seen a rating of 47ºC on some of the thermometers (116ºF). We went from a pleasant spring to hot-hot-hot way too quickly for my liking, something that has required a severe and quick adaptation to the spanish way of siestas, and finally learning the bus system to avoid walking in the afternoon heat.
         On Thursday night Erin had a despedida (going away party) where we all had a chance to hang out, eat some tapas, drink some tinto, and enjoy each others' company for one of our last times here in Sevilla. I can't begin to explain how grateful I am for each and every person in this group that I've grown close to this semester, luckily I'll be seeing many of them on the other side of the pond and very soon.
         Last Friday was the last time for me to hang out with Ramon, Manolo, Manuel, and the rest of the Sevilla bluegrass crowd that I mentioned in an earlier post. I was elated to be able to share that experience with Rebecca as well as with everyone who followed my wild goose chase to the bar which includes Kelsey, Trevor, Rose, Joni, Sabrina, Erin, Jennie, and Jenna. Both Rebecca and myself had the chance to hop up on stage to play with the Surrounders, we have video to prove it but lack the internet connection to allow the upload so here's some photos:








       
           I had finals all this week and so Rebecca has taken to busking (playing in the streets) while I'm at school or studying as a means of entertainment (she's also been doing some touring too):







Cookin' in the kitchen
          This semester we've had the semi-tradition of eating Sunday dinners together, we being Sabrina, Joni, Sam, and Erin so on Monday night (thanks to finals), we had our last dinner together at Rose's apartment in Alameda, I fried up some hot-water cornbread, there was salad, a delicious swordfish filet that Rose cooked, tinto de verano, and a bunch of other yummy snacks. After eating way too much food, we all went to sit in the plaza Alameda de Hercules to enjoy the evening breeze and to play a little music. We managed to make a few new friends along the way: 

While things were cooking Rebecca and I went up on the roof to take in the
beauty that is Sevilla at night.


This entire group of bikers and skaters stopped just long enough to hear Rebecca sing Long Black Veil.


          I wish I had more time to write about what's been going on this past week, but since our flight for London leaves tomorrow afternoon, I'm a little pressed for time at the moment. I am so excited to have Rebecca here with me and to share Sevilla with her. We're about to embark on a truly unique adventure in just about 24 hours and I'm glad to have her by my side through all of these experiences. For now I'm just about packed up here in the Contreras household (my host family), lucky for me I will see them in June since Gumer is letting me keep my big suitcase, guitar, and banjo at the house while we're traveling for 3 weeks. 
          Today is our going away reception for my university, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, which is being held here in Sevilla at the local amusement park: Isla Mágica. It's going to be a good evening full of rides, fun, and goodbyes', I'm hoping the heat will stay away long enough for us to be able to enjoy being outside. After that I'll have my final dinner with the whole family (Jenna leaves tomorrow at 4:30am-yikes!), do some final packing and attempt to sleep a little before my alarm goes off at 7:30am. 
          We're embarking in style as Trevor and Kelsey have come up with the genius idea of having a full blown breakfast to send everyone off, complete with mimosa's, pancakes, and eggs. The first place I stayed in Sevilla will be the last place I leave tomorrow (at least until I come back on June 11th).
          So here's the final paragraph, the one that's supposed to be filled with wistful wisdom talking about all that I've learned, the things I'll miss, my favorite places I won't be seeing....but c'mon now, there's no time! I've got a bag to pack, people to see, and a roller coaster to ride- no time for such sappiness! Check back here over the next few weeks for some bits and pieces of our adventure around Europe, for now here's a summary of what's to come in the next 26 days:
May 19th-London/Cookham, England and staying with the Walls!
May 21st- Edinburgh, Scotland
May 23rd- Portree, Isle of Skye, Scotland, for a Fiddle and Accordion Festival
May 26th- Back to Edinburgh, going to a ceilidh (scottish country dance) on Saturday
May 28th- Fly to Prague, Czech Republic, (there is talk of going to the gypsy music festival or the jazz festival)
June 2nd- Train to Berlin, Germany, staying with my friend Anna and hopefully getting to see Rose and Sabrina, as well as my friend Nora from high school.
June 6th- Fly to Barcelona, Spain
June 10th- my little brother Jesse graduates from high school (an important date in general, although I won't be there but I definitely will be thinking about how proud I am of my not-so-little little brother)
June 11th- Fly to Sevilla, Spain, staying with my friend Asha, taking in the last few days of Sevilla and hoping that we don't melt.
June 13th- Fly home at 6:30am (0030 EST), I'll be back in Greensboro by 10:30pm EST
All that in the next 26 days....whew.




No comments:

Post a Comment